Monday, November 2, 2009

Thankful November

I'm stealing this from an old friend who also stole it from one of her old friends. I need more time to think about all the good things in my life and be grafeul for all of it. So even though I'm a couple days behind, I want to try to be diligent in doing a "thankful post" everyday for this month.

Today I am thankful for my mother. She has always been there for me, even during the time I was ackward and angry through my teenage years and early twenties- which by the way, I'm just getting over. She has such a giving heart and is the most thoughtful person I've ever known. She's given her life to others to try and make them more comfortable and happy, insomuch that she now has permanent health problems. She now has some time to take for herself to be more healthy and active and I'm so very glad of that.

I love her sweet voice and her emotions as she feels for me all the things I go through. She is a wonderful grandmother. She loves to listen to me talk and talk and talk about my son and never tires of it, even though I'm sure I repeat myself over and over and over.

I'm thankful that she always taught me not to hate, even though there were many times which I'm sure she would've been justified in hating many people for the things that they did. I hear her voice in my head saying, "Never hate, Rebekah. Hate the actions, but not the person. It poisons who you are if you can't forgive." I could never understand why she was so passionate about it when I'd scream and cry about how someone had hurt me or someone I cared about and I'd say, "I HATE THEM!!" She was very right. Hate does poison who we are.

I'm thankful for all the skills she passed to me. She instilled a desire to be a good wife and homemaker. Even though she never took the time to officially teach me how to do a lot of things, I was always watching her- sewing, baking, crocheting, floral arranging, running her business in our basement. If someone wanted something, she could create it with her own two hands.


And she still calls me, talks to me. I have no idea what could possess her to continue loving me after all those horrible years while I was trying to figure out who I was, but she did and still loves me when I get angry about silly things, even when I shouldn't. She has the sweetest, most tender spirit. I am blessed to have such a mother.

Mom, today I am thankful for you. I love you.

1 comment:

Chiemi said...

Wow, I can totally relate. I sometimes wonder how my Mom could still love me after my rotten teenage years. Yet now I seriously think she is one of my best friends. A mother capacity to love is amazing. I hope I can be the same. :)