Friday, March 19, 2010

Ever SO Much More than I Can Say...

This morning after talking briefly to a newly-found old friend, I had the opportunity to sit back, look at my son and really analyze him. He was tailor-maid by God just for me and my husband. I know it. He is THE perfect child- for us. I got offline and played with him before giving him a snack and putting him down to nap.

As I rocked him to sleep, I looked around his room now that it's been rearranged to make room for his new toddler bed. I like it better now and having the different perspective opened my mind to other areas of my life to be thankful for. I started to get down to the knitty-gritty things in life, all the things that people complain about and have so much trouble with (including myself). I have problems just like everyone else, but in the grand scheme of things, I really have nothing to complain about at all. I have very little bills and all my basic needs are covered. I have a husband who loves me dearly and supports my decision to stay at home and raise our family. I didn't have ot wait very long to have children after getting married, and so and and so forth. I thought through all this as I put my son down in his crib.

As is customary for me after baby goes down, I hop on the computer for a few minutes to catch up on all things bloggy and Facebooky. I found this poem on an old friend's blog. I've known her for years and have had the opportunity to watch her change and become such an amazing woman. I look up to her very much because I see so much of myself in her. She was one of my older sister's best friends all throughout high school and well into college, and even today. I'm blessed to still be a small part of her life, even though we live a thousand miles away.

Here is her post:

Lord, thank you for this sink of dirty dishes;
We have plenty of food to eat.
Thank you for this pile of dirty, stinky laundry;
We have plenty of nice clothes to wear.
And I would like to thank you, Lord, for those unmade beds;
They were so warm and comfortable last night.
I know that many have no bed.
My thanks to you, Lord, for this bathroom,
Complete with all the splattered mirrors, soggy, grimy towels and dirty lavatory;
They are so convenient.
Thank you for this finger-smudged refrigerator that needs defrosting so badly;
It has served us faithfully for many years.
It is full of cold drinks and enough leftovers for two or three meals.
Thank you, Lord, for this oven that absolutely must be cleaned today.
It has baked so many things over the years.
The whole family is grateful for that tall grass that needs mowing,
The lawn that needs raking;
We all enjoy the yard.
Thank you, Lord, even for that slamming screen door.
My kids are healthy and able to run and play.
Lord, the presence of all these chores awaiting me says
You have richly blessed my family.
I shall do them cheerfully and I shall do them gratefully.
May we all be thankful like the person who wrote this poem. Have wonderful weekend!

6 comments:

Lil Lady Katie said...

Thank you for sharing the poem, Bek. I needed to hear/read that. I need to learn to be grateful I have all that....instead of stressing that its not picture perfect. :)

Mary P said...

Thanks for that!

Andrew and Lauren said...

That is a very good poem. And its a miracle you were able to have children quickly. One of my friend's said it took 7 YEARS for her friend to get pregnant again. And she was trying very hard that whole time. So it is a miracle.

Dawnyel said...

*HUGS*

Unknown said...

I need to pin that poem to my forehead. I wonder everyday why the dishes I just did are all sitting on the counter waiting to be washed yet again! Thanks Bekah, and thanks to your friend.

Wendster said...

YOU HAVE A BLOG!??!?!?!?

I HAD NO IDEA!

Sorry. I'm shouting. LOL. Just excited.

You got a new car, you're having a baby girl, you have no more morning sickness, you love your hubby, and life is good. That's my summary of what I read.

And if I might comment ... I have SO been there where I'm wondering if the things I do annoy and alienate other people. I want to be liked TOO. Maybe we all feel this way? Or maybe ... just the sensitive ones do? Because I've certainly bumped into a few people in my life time who don't seem to care that they are in your face and rude. ha.

I hope I was never that woman. But I'll bet I was at multiple points in my life.

Congratulations on hitting the "no morning sickness point" and getting that car. Life is good.

:) xoxoxoox

OH. And you never rub ME the wrong way. I think you are always sensitive and caring and connective and I love it.