Friday, April 3, 2009


Sooo, I'm about 2 1/2 weeks behind in my posts, but then again, I'm on vacation. I thought I might post a quick one right now.

On the 23rd of last month, Jonathan went in for his four month check-up. I was nervous as he'd been sick with my sinus infection and they don't usually give babies shots if they're not perfectly healthy. But seeing as we had already rescheduled his appointment for 2 weeks earlier after finding out the insurance changed our doctor, (lovely surprise finding out the morning of the appointment you couldn't go in and get it done)there really was no time to bat around. Jonathan was quickly closing in on his 5th month.

Larry met me over and the pediatrition's office to keep me company before he had to creep off to take a test in Fullerton. He filled out all the nasty new paperwork. He says I take too long. He kept his eye on the time and ended up leaving before we even got in to do the check-up. I hate going in to doctors alone out here. I rarely understand most of them because English in not their first language and seeing as Lars in used to decifering, I take him along with me. Call me Idahoan. I'm used to redneck speak.

Around 20 mintues after Larry left for school, Jonathan and I were called back in a room. My beautiful little boy was a little cranky because of teething, but still mostly happy. He had a ginormous diaper and I had to change him before he got weighed and I found out that this doctor's office doesn't allow you to throw away your diapers. They give you a baggy to seal them in to put back in you diaper bag. I was way ticked. Lame, I know. But it made me upset I had to carry around poopy diapers from a sick little boy just because they were too darn lazy to change out the garbage at the end of every night. (They do it every 3 days, unless otherwise needed.)

I stripped my little BooBoo Bear down to his diaper and the nurse measured him. He was 25 1/4 inches. Over 2 feet! In the 60%. Slightly higher than average for babies his age. Then she needed to weigh him. I put him on the scale and he was 18.71 lbs. Nearly 19 lbs. He was completely off the charts for babies his age! Call me a proud mama. He's drinking pure cream. ;)

Then the doctor came in. I couldn't understand her. (Larry where are you!) I asked the same questions a million times because she wasn't making any sense. But it was good for me. I've learned to be assertive until I get the answers I'm looking for. She quickly did her thing and said a nurse would be coming in to give him his shots. Ick. A mother's least favorite thing.

I'd given him Tylenol when we first got into the office so it could set in while we waited. He fevered at his first check-up and wailed for 4 hours before finally passing out and I wasn't going to go through all that again. The nurse came back in with two shots and a little plastic container with a snapoff piece to open it. Polio vaccine. Last time Jonathan took it, he held it in there for 10 seconds and then giggled as he let it leak out the sides of his mouth. Devious little child. He did better this time around. He took most of it as he was used to taking Tylenol. (Both are grape flavored).

The first shot was ugly looking. I said to the nurse, "Here we go." But she explained to me that it's the second shot that really hurts because it has a higher concentration of medicine in it. She proceeded to give him the first shot in his left thigh. No response. All Jonathan did was look up at me a little surprised. Wow. I was impressed. Next shot... **gulp** The nurse poked it into his right thigh and 10 seconds later, the all too familiar shriek of terrorized pain filled the room. I hadn't heard him make that kind of noise since I left him in Miller's Children's Hospital for his surgery. Talk about nerve-wracking. I picked him up and walked him around the room as I got him dressed (yes, I can do that at the same time). He quickly calmed down and I put him in his car seat.

I got all turned around on the elevator and got off on the wrong floor. UGH! Humiliating. Now is the time I wish I had the stroller. A 20 lb. baby, a 10 lb. carseat, and a 12 lb. diaper bag in a hot building on a hot day with a weird guy in the same elevator who won't stop going on and on about your child and how much he'd like to hold him.... Like I said, "Larry! Where are you??"

We did make it out to the car, a little worse for wear, only to find both sides of the car blocked in and completely unable to open the back doors wide enough to put the carseat in. By this time, I was so mad. Stupid poopy diapers, a doctor I didn't understand, getting lost, worrying about a weird guys following me. I'd had it. I threw open the back door on the driver's side and dinged the car next to me. Not my problem. They want to cram their SUV into a compact car space, that's their choice. I put in my little one and pulled his pants off before closing the door. It was hooooot in the car.

Jonathan stayed awake on the way to the CVS by my house. I dropped off a prescription for his nightmare of a diaper rash and went home to nurse him. After all that, he dropped right for off to sleep for about 4 hours. What a little trooper. Hardly any tears and a long nap for mama's sanity. I was proud of him.


Chiemi said...

Ugh, I hate shots with babies. It's awful and totally breaks my heart every time. Hope you are having fun on your vacay!

Jamie said...

that doesn't sounds fun, whatsoever. i'm glad you made it out alive. :)

Kellie said...

hahahahaha! You CRACK me up! You dinged the car! Well, what ELSE are you supposed to do in that situation!? Good for you! SO-I NEVER understood why parents got all upset about their children getting shots until your post! That put a picture in my head that I don't think I'll forget... that's got to be SO hard! :( Sorry about the sucky appointment and I'm glad it's over! <3

Little Yancey Family said...

Heya! Wow it was so funny running into you at the rest stop in Utah! LOL! Congrats on the little one, and well everything! I love having the blogs to keep in touch with!